Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Review: Necron Canoptek Wraiths Box


Review: Necron Canoptek Wraiths Box


The Necron Canoptek Wraiths are pretty cool models.  They are a lot cooler then the Wraith models that preceded them.  This unit is considered by many people to be the premier close combat unit in the Necron army. These guys also have quite a few upgrade options that all come with the box however the only one that is really worthwhile in opinion is the whip coils which causes any models in base contact have its initiative reduced to 1. I plan on running 2 6 man squads in my army because close combat is my favorite phase and these guys also have awesome rules as well. So let’s get to the Box Review and for those of you that haven’t read one of my box reviews before I use a 5 point system to judge the models including looks, Easiness to Assemble, Mold Lines, and Value for Money. So now onto the Box review:


Looks: 4/5 Points – I gave these guys a 4 because they are pretty cool but you can't make them in different poses  you are stuck with only 3

Easiness to Assemble: 4/5 Points- I gave them a 4 because they are pretty simple to assemble.

Mold Lines: 3/5 Points - This is a newer kit so the mold lines aren't that bad but they are still their so I can’t give it a 5.  However compared to other newer kits I gave them a 3 because it is a real pain to get rid of the mold lines on all the different arms as well as the tails.

Value for Money: 2.5 /5 Points- I gave this kit a 2.5 because you only get 3 models for $47 so it will cost around $100 dollars to make a full unit and to top it off you really don’t get any extra bits either

So Overall I would give this Box: 3.5/5 Points


This box comes with 3 sprews that are all pretty much the exact same.  The only difference between the 3 sprews is the tails.  One thing I have noticed is some of the pieces of this kit can break very easily mainly the whip coils so be careful when handling and assembling them.  Even then I imagine this is a piece that will easily break during game play or transportation.  So if you haven’t invested in a foam transport case for your army this will be a unit I would suggest it for if they are armed with whip coils.  Another option would be to not glue the whip coil arms in so then you can switch them out with the regular arms and transport them easier.  If you go this route you shouldn't need to magnetize them because the way the kit goes together the arms have pins in them already so they should stick on by themselves.  The only real pain about this kit is the mold lines on the arms. There are around 12 arms and it really feels like it takes forever to get rid of all the mold lines.  Overall though there is not a real lot to say about this kit it is pretty straight forward and it not that hard to assemble it just takes time if you do it right.


As far as conversions go I have really only ever seen one really cool one.  Their fluff says that they phase in and out of reality while moving.  So this guy made them so it looks like they are moving through terrain.  I cant rember were I saw it or I would have put a picture with this post but it really is an awsome conversion.  It is a pretty cool conversion and the only real original idea I have ever seen when it comes to converting Wraiths because they way the kit is there is not a real lot of conversion ideas that come to mind.  There is also one other conversion I have seen the Wraith Destroyer Lord.  Basically you use the Wraith tail and then a Lords torso to make different looking Destroyer Lord.  However I have not seen this done with the newer Wraith models the conversion I’ve seen used the older medal ones


Grizwald

1 comment:

  1. Cool article. But I have a request. Please, please, please use a period more often.

    ReplyDelete