Saturday, December 15, 2012

Painting Tutorial Part 1: The Metal Parts

Painting Tutorial Part 1: The Metal Parts




I am going to be doing my painting tutorial in pieces and then will eventually combine all of them in to one big tutorial.  I am going to start with the how I painted the metal of my Necrons 1st because that is where I start when I paint my Necrons. I also want to give credit where credit is due.  I got my idea from a painting tutorial called “Painting Rusty Necron  Armour” by Garfy from the blog Tale of Painters.  I based the way I painted the medal off of this tutorial but I decided to change parts of it.  I will have the link at the bottom of the page if you wish to view it.

Usually when I paint medal on my models I do a layer of Ledbelcher then a wash of Nuln Oil then I highlight first with Iron breaker followed by Runefang Steel.  However I thought this was to bright looking for what I wanted.  So I decided to go for a ore rusted look but I didn’t like it extremely rusted either.   Then I found that tutorial “Painting Rusty Necron  Armour” by Garfy and I liked how it looked up until the wash but I thought It was a little too dark so I added some more highlights and I really liked the way it turned out.  In the end the medal looks it has a little but rusting but not a real lot.  So on to the tutorial.

Paints needed are Citadel Paints including: Warplock Bronze, Ledbelcher, Iron Breaker, Runefang Steel, and Nuln Oil

I find That big flat brushes work best for steps I and especially 2 I use model master brusher the picture bellow is the type of brush I am talking about.


Step 1:  Paint all of the metal areas with a solid coat of Warplock Bronzemake sure that it gets into all the groves because this is what gives you the rust effect

Step 2:  Do a very heavy dry brushing of Ledbelcher.  It is important  to make sure that you leave a the Warplock Bronze  showing through the Ledbelcher .

Step 3: I did a Highlight of Iron Breaker over the all the areas that would get light if the source of light was directly over the model.  For Example in the picture below I painted the top of the legs and the feet on the front side of the legs. When you do this step you do not want a lot of paint on your brush because you still want a little of the Warplock Bronze to show through.

Step 4: Wash the metal area with the shade Nuln Oil. Don’t give it a real heavy wash just enough to cover the model.

Step 5: Do edge highlights on all the raised edges of the metal area with Runefang Steel.

I hope this was helpful if there is any way I can make these tutorials better please let me know. 
Grizwald
Hers is the link to "Painting Rusty Necron Armour" by Garfy: http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2011/12/tutorial-painting-rusty-necron-armour.htm

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting way to paint Necrons, very different to my method, but then I go for a more cold metal look than a rusted look. Looks amazing though!

    ReplyDelete