Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: Necron Lychguard / Triarch Praetorians Box


Review:  Necron Lychguard / Triarch Praetorians Box


This box review is on the Necron Lychguard / Triarch Praetorians box. These are my favorite Necron models I just love the way both of these units look.  I also think that the fluff for these guys is sick I mean how are these guys not awesome look and fluff wise.  Most people hate on both of these units and say this box is only good for making Lords and Crypteks. I am planning on using the Praeorians with an attached Destroyer Lord for my list and if I go with an Overlord on foot I plan on putting him with a Sword and Shield Lynchguard squad. I believe to get the best out of either of these squads you need an attached IC with a Resurrection Orb.  For the Praetorians the only character available is a Destroyer Lord because they are Jump Infantry and Either an Overlord or a regular Lord would work for the Lynchguard.  So let’s get to the Box Review and for those of you that haven’t read one of my box reviews before I use a 5 point system to judge the models including looks, Easiness to Assemble, Mold Lines, and Value for Money. So now onto the Box review:


Looks: 5/5 Points – I had to give it a 5 because these are sick looking models. 

Easiness to Assemble: 4/5 Points- I gave them a 4 because they are pretty simple to assemble however it can be trickey cutting some of the pieces out and the sword arms need to be pinned.

Mold Lines: 4/5 Points - This is a newer kit so the mold lines aren’t that bad but they are still their so I can’t give it a 5

Value for Money: 4/5 Points- I gave this kit a 4 because this kit can not only be used to make these 2 squads but it is the perfect kit to make Lords out of so you dont have to buy those Fincast ones and the staffs are good for Crypteks as well.  But it is still only a 5 man unit you get so I can’t give it a 5

So Overall I would give this Box: 4.5/5 Points

This box comes with 3 sprews and like a lot of the newer GW unit Boxes it only contains enough bits to make 5 guys. However it is a dual unit box so you get lots of extra useful bits. For those of you that may not know you should always keep your bits if you can because they may be useful in the future for conversions or if you need a replacement piece also you can sell your bits to other people or to some companies and stores.

Let’s talk about the Lynchguard first. Depending on which way you choose to arm them will be a big difference in the time it will take you to assemble them.  If you arm them with Warscythes then it won’t take you to long however if you go with the sword and shield option it will take a lot longer.  The shields are hard to cut out of the sprew because you can easily cut out part of the shield with it. I found the easiest way is to leave the part the extends from the sprew still attached when you cut it off and then use an Hobby knife to cut the extra plastic off. This takes a little longer and is more work but looks a lot better in the end.



This is what I mean by leaving cutting the part of the sprew that attaches the shield  out instead of just the shield
 Also the sword arms and the single Warscythe arm will need to be pinned. This is because the joint is not strong enough to hold when painting it and even if does hold it will easily brake in the future so avoid a lot of problem in the future pin it now. If you don’t know how to pin its easy just take a hobby drill and drill a whole in both sides of the joint.  In this case drill a hole in both the hand and forearm then insert a medal rod I use paper clips then glue the two pieces together with the rod in he hole and you will have a  much stronger joint.


The other unit that comes in this box are the Triarch Praetorians. The only thing I really don’t like about the Practorians is the tails so I am planning on using the loin cloths from the Lynchguard unit on them instead. However I haven’t fully assembled one yet since I paint my models in pieces so will see how it looks after their done.  If you are like most people and paint your models whole I would suggest not attaching the back piece until after you paint the model because it will be nearly impossible to paint their backs with that thing attached. Assembly wise these guys aren't too bad. The hardest part is after you assemble them is when you try to get rid of the gap in the shoulder pads.  This is a huge pain because unlike all the other units they have their jet packs attached to their shoulder pads so you cant really file it down easy.  I used green stuff and tried to use an emery board so smooth it out but it couldn't reach everywhere. So I had to break out my files which I haven’t used in a long time since I started to use the Emery boards.  The reason I prefer the Emery Boards is I find that the files can leave fine line in the model after you file the mold lines off.  However in the past I still used them and then used the emery boards to smooth it over. Now however I go the GW cleanup kit and that tool is amazing I haven’t need files in forever and any mold lines that tool can’t reach I have my hobby knife for. I haven't assembled the sword and pistol Praetorians and don't plan on it so I cant comment on them.
Grizwald


No comments:

Post a Comment